Ontrack releases new version of internet privacy software
Internet Cleanup™ 2.0 eliminates spyware, cookies, cache, and browsing historyMINNEAPOLIS, June 12, 2001 – ONTRACK Data International, Inc. (NASDAQ: ONDI), a provider of data availability software and services, today announced the launch of Internet Cleanup™ 2.0, which enhances Internet privacy by erasing the data trail left behind when surfing the Internet. This new version of the software removes spyware programs, recently accessed file lists, hidden references, downloaded files and folders, and more.
Internet surfing leaves behind a trail of data and tracking devices that can reveal a user’s Internet activities, allowing Web sites with spyware to build profiles about users’ online activities. In addition, anyone with access to a user’s computer can easily examine this data trail to determine what s/he has been doing on the Internet. With Internet Cleanup 2.0, these practices can be avoided by scheduling automatic and regular removal of tracking data such as cookies, browsing history, cache and spyware.
“Internet Cleanup is a new category of software designed specifically to attack the privacy threat posed by your computer’s Internet data trail,” explained Jon Eisele, director, Ontrack PC utility software. “Internet Cleanup 2.0 provides a ‘set-and-forget’ model for convenient and automated removal of this data.”
New features of Internet Cleanup 2.0 include:
- Removes Spyware Programs: These programs, often hidden in free software, can record computer and Internet activities and send that information back to the program’s creator.
- Removes Recently Viewed Files Lists: Many applications keep lists of recently opened files. Files containing private content can be discovered easily by anyone with access to a user’s PC. Plug-ins are provided for common applications.
- Customized and Automated Removal of Recent Lists: Internet Cleanup can be customized to remove recent lists for particular applications.
- Removes Files and Folders: Users can customize the removal of files and folders where downloaded files such as MPEGS & JPEGS may be stored.
- Removes Internet Explorer Forms and Passwords
- Removes Internet Explorer Hidden References: Internet Explorer uses databases, which can easily be accessed by other users, to track information and sites visited for quick reference.
- Netscape User Profile Support: Internet Cleanup 2.0 can be customized for each user when there are multiple users on the same PC.
Ontrack, a leading provider of data availability software and service solutions, helps customers protect, manage, recover and discover their valuable data. Using its hundreds of proprietary tools and techniques, Ontrack is able to recover lost or corrupted data from virtually all operating systems and types of storage devices through its do-it-yourself, remote and in-lab capabilities. Ontrack also offers award-winning PC utility software programs and services to help prevent critical data loss through a broad line of problem-solving, file-management and productivity utilities. Ontrack can be reached through its World Wide Web site at http://www.ontrack.com or by calling 800-872-2599 (952-937-5161). In addition to its Minneapolis headquarters, Ontrack operates other locations in Los Angeles, Boulder, Colo., Washington D.C., New York, London, Paris and Stuttgart. Ontrack also makes its data recovery services available in Tokyo through its strategic alliance with Y-E Data, a company with over 25 years of experience in storage devices.