Wednesday, February 23, 2000
Ontrack offers data recovery advice for computer-based tax preparation and e-filingWith this year's tax-filing deadline approaching, Minneapolis-based ONTRACK Data International, Inc. (NASDAQ: ONDI) -a leading provider of data availability software and service solutions- has released tips to help computer-dependent tax preparers and electronic filers prevent data loss and, in the event of a computer crash, quickly and cost-effectively recover lost data.
Last year, more than 25 million taxpayers used the IRS' e-file option to submit income tax records via the Internet. In the same vein, an increasing number of people are taking advantage of readily available tax software, using their home computers to store and prepare tax information. According to Jim Reinert, director of worldwide software for Ontrack, information stored on personal computers is always at risk. “Viruses, hard drive crashes and human error cause the majority of computer data losses, and the last thing you want is for one of these events to occur while you're working on your taxes,” he said. “Although it's impossible to guarantee protection, there are preventive measures that can be taken,” says Reinert. “Plus, if data loss does occur, there are several ways to get it back.”
Experts at Ontrack outlined the following prevention and recovery tactics:
- Place your computer in a dry, cool, controlled environment that is dust- and static-free. Placing your computer in a low-traffic area will protect your system and storage media from harmful jarring or bumping.
- Back up data often using reliable discs or tapes, removable cartridges, another hard drive or other storage devices.
- Use an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) or a surge protector.
- Run a virus scan regularly and update it often. A free virus scanner is included in Ontrack SystemSuite™ 2000 and Fix-It Utilities ™ 2000.
- Perform periodic diagnostic checks on your hard drive. Products such as Data Advisor™ software are available free on the Ontrack Web site at www.ontrack.com.
- Use Ontrack SystemSuite 2000 and Fix-It Utilities 2000 utility products to keep your system operating at peak performance.
- Be aware of strange noises in your computer. If you hear a strange noise or grinding sound, save your file, turn off the computer immediately and call an expert. Further operation may damage your hard drive beyond repair.
- Seek support from a data recovery service if you've lost significant work. Data loss experts, such as Ontrack, offer a range of recovery options for as little as $49.
Since its inception, Ontrack has performed more than 100,000 successful data recoveries using in-lab, on-site and remote services. The company also offers a series of do-it-yourself data recovery software products starting as low as $49. Additional information on data recovery is available on the Ontrack Web site at www.ontrack.com.
Ontrack, a leading provider of data availability software and service solutions, helps customers protect, back up, recover and discover their valuable data. Using its hundreds of proprietary tools and techniques, Ontrack is able to recover lost or corrupted data from all operating systems and types of storage devices through its do-it-yourself, remote and in-lab capabilities. With its Electronic Information Management business, Ontrack specializes in searching, recovering and analyzing computer information - such as e-mail and user data - for use in legal matters. Ontrack also offers a line of award-winning software tools to help prevent critical data loss through a broad line of problem-solving, file-management and productivity utilities. In addition, Ontrack recently introduced its RapidRecall line of backup and restore software and services for remote users.
Ontrack can be reached through its World Wide Web site at http://www.ontrack.com or by calling 800-872-2599 (612-937-5161). In addition to its Minneapolis headquarters, Ontrack operates other locations in Los Angeles, Boulder, Colo., Washington D.C., New York, London, Paris and Stuttgart. Ontrack also makes its data recovery services available in Tokyo through its strategic alliance with Y-E Data, a company with over 25 years of experience in storage devices.
ONTRACK, DATA ADVISOR, FIX-IT UTILITIES, ONTRACK SYSTEMSUITE and RAPIDRECALL are trademarks or registered trademarks of ONTRACK Data International, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.