- When possible, remove hard drives from laptops and desktops before shipping.
- Place small items such as flash media cards, USB drives and phones in an envelope before wrapping and placing in the box.
- The damaged media should be wrapped in anti-static bubble wrap, anti-static foam or an anti-static bag and placed in a box - we suggest a box twice the size of your media. The box should have enough room for both the media and some type of additional packing material that allows for NO movement. The box should also have sufficient barrier room around the inside edges to absorb impact during shipping.
- Ship multiple drives in separate boxes or make sure they are separated enough with packing material so there will be no contact.
- When shipping your own back-up drive with the damaged drive, please label each drive. Use “back-up” for the new drive and “damaged” for the old drive.
- Include the completed Service Request Form in the shipment.
- Consider getting insurance on any hardware that has significant value. You cannot insure the value of the data.
Service Request Paperwork Tips
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
Package the completed Service Request Form with your media. Place all documents inside the box. Completed paperwork will expedite the recovery of your data and avoids delays.
Sales Order Number
Including your service order number on the outside of your shipped package allows Kroll Ontrack's receiving department to begin processing your drive in quick fashion. This will optimize turnaround time, especially during the evaluation phase.